Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Made with Turkey Sausage and Salsa
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 lb cooked turkey sausage
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion, sauteed
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery, sauteed
- 1 1⁄2 cups chunky salsa
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) or 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- Cook Turkey sausage and make sure its crumbly.Drain off any excess liquid.
- Mix all ingredients including the Turkey, in a Pot and bring to a simmer on low to med heat.
- I stated only six servings because we have it as our main course with a salad.
DH and I really enjoyed this. I increased the onions to about a cup and the celery to about a half cup, plus I made about 3 cups of brown rice. I also added a little water during the simmering as it was very dry. My main criticism. and the reason for four stars instead of five, is that the directions were very vague and took some deciphering. For example, it should have specified how the turkey sausage was to be cooked (i.e., whole or broken up, sauteed or baked, etc.)