Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
You can make your own healthy granola bar in your kitchen. This chewy bar is packed with protein but low in fat, carbohydrates and calories. Best of all it is gluten free and great for diabetics also.
- 1 1⁄4 cups crispy brown rice cereal
- 1 1⁄4 cups old fashioned oats
- 3⁄4 cup soy flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 4 ounces applesauce
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts (etc.) or 1⁄4 cup almonds (etc.) or 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds (etc.)
- Preheat oven to 325°F Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan. (Can use parchment paper instead ).
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, brown rice cereal, soy flour, milled flax seed, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking soda, nuts, coconut and brown sugar. Mix well. In separate bowl mix vanilla, applesauce, flaxseed, honey and molasses. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well. Recommended: Allow wet ingredients to set for a few minutes to allow flax to gel. Allow mix after completed to set to allow product to absorb moisture before baking.
- Press mixture into the prepared pan. The more compact the chewier the bar. Bake at 325 F for about 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving. (If too moist, place in warm oven for 15 minutes allow excess moisture to evaporate or reduce applesauce to by 1 oz.).