Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are adapted from Cookin'Diva's delicious Chewy No-Bake Granola Bars, which were adapted from Kittencal's No-Bake Rice Krispies Peanut Butter Granola Bars (Lower-Fat). They are easy to change according to your own tastes. No matter what, they are tastier and healthier than store-bought.
- 3 cups puffed brown rice cereal (or puffed millet)
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3⁄4 cup apricot, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup shredded coconut (preferrably unsweetened)
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 3⁄4 cup flax seed meal, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup carob chips
- Mix cereal, oats, fruit, nuts, and coconut in a large bowl.
- Heat honey over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly. Stir in peanut butter and flax meal mixture. Heat, stirring, until well-mixed and melty. Add more water if necessary. Consistency should be liquidy.
- Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients and quickly stir to mix with a rubber spatula. When well-incorporated and slightly cooled, add carob.
- Press into a 13 x 9 inch pan. Press hard. Refrigerate a few hours or overnight. Cut into bars.
This recipe has been in my "must try" file for ages - and I'm so glad I finally got around to making them tonight. I'm happy to say they're easy to make and I love that they are no bake. A bit of an arm workout! All comes together in the end, and if you slightly wet your hands it's easy to press down evenly. Thanks Prose, these are going to make perfect take-along snacks! Made for VegSwap Dec09.
Wow! These are great! I used puffed millet and old-fashioned rolled oats. I used waxed paper for the pressing down and just left that on them while they cooled in the fridge. I also used a jelly-roll pan because my big glass 9x13 was doing leftover duty in the fridge already. Thanks! Reviewed for Pick-A-Chef.
This is a great base recipe. We ate every single one of them! Next time, I will reduce the rice cereal to 2 cups. It was a little overpowering and the bars were having a hard time holding together. I also added chopped dried cherries. Yum! I omitted the carob chips. Great recipe! Thanks for posting.