Recipe by Prose
These are adapted from Cookin'Diva's delicious Chewy No-Bake Granola Bars, which were adapted from Kittencal's No-Bake Rice Krispies Peanut Butter Granola Bars (Lower-Fat). They are easy to change according to your own tastes. No matter what, they are tastier and healthier than store-bought.
Top Review by magpie diner
This recipe has been in my "must try" file for ages - and I'm so glad I finally got around to making them tonight. I'm happy to say they're easy to make and I love that they are no bake. A bit of an arm workout! All comes together in the end, and if you slightly wet your hands it's easy to press down evenly. Thanks Prose, these are going to make perfect take-along snacks! Made for VegSwap Dec09.
- 3 cups puffed brown rice cereal (or puffed millet)
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3⁄4 cup apricot, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup shredded coconut (preferrably unsweetened)
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 3⁄4 cup flax seed meal, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup carob chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cereal, oats, fruit, nuts, and coconut in a large bowl.
- Heat honey over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly. Stir in peanut butter and flax meal mixture. Heat, stirring, until well-mixed and melty. Add more water if necessary. Consistency should be liquidy.
- Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients and quickly stir to mix with a rubber spatula. When well-incorporated and slightly cooled, add carob.
- Press into a 13 x 9 inch pan. Press hard. Refrigerate a few hours or overnight. Cut into bars.