Recipe by YummySmellsca
Hermit bars are basically an old fashioned spice cookie baked into a soft, chewy bar filled with raisins and nuts. They're said to date back to the late 1800s when the wives of New England sailors would make these for their husbands to take out to sea because they traveled so well. These are made with 100% whole grains, Omega rich almonds and walnuts, and magnesium rich molasses and Demerara sugar.
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup hot coffee
- 2 tablespoons soft coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄3 cup raisins, soaked in hot water and drained
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup chopped almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9" pan with parchment.
- Whisk together the flaxseed and coffee in a small bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl beat together oil, sugar, salt and molasses until well combined.
- Add vanilla and the flax mixture and beat in well.
- Stir in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and cardamom until well combined.
- Fold in the raisins and nuts.
- Spread in the pan and bake for 15-20 minutes (I usually do 18).