Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is an original. It tastes great and lasts for quite a while before going stale. Makes good toast too.
- 1 cup water, plus
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons melted butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine (I use Smart Balance, no trans-fatty acids)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups white bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons skim milk powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar substitute (I use Equal)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- Add ingredients in the order your machine calls for.
- Set it for 1 1/2 lb loaf, French bread, and set the crust for however you like it.
- We like a crust which requires a hack saw to cut so we set it for dark.
- If you like it as hard as we do, get a small sprayer, and lightly mist the dough with water a couple of times when it is in the bake cycle.
Why, Clifford, has this wonderful recipe been undiscovered and unreviewed for so long? It's simply delightful! I was low on Smart Balance, so used unsalted butter, but kept everything else the same. We enjoyed it very much with sandwiches for lunch and finished off the loaf with lasagna for dinner. Perfecto! MERP'd for Bargain Basement tag. Thanks so much Clifford for sharing! **edited to add: 3 requests tonight to make another loaf tomorrow!