Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is based on a recipe I found on the back of the Quaker Yellow Corn Meal container. I modified it to use whole wheat flour, no oil, and no sugar, so that it's healthier. Plus, this turns out a bit "heavier" than normal cornbread; it has a nice crunchy crust but a moist and chewy center. You can use 2 egg whites or 1 whole egg (beaten) instead of the Egg Beaters egg substitute, if you prefer.
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 6 (1 g) packets Sweet 'n Low
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Grease an 8 or 9-inch pan (I use a loaf pan).
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, corn meal, Sweet& Low, baking powder, and salt).
- Stir in the milk, vanilla, applesauce and Egg Beaters (or the egg); mix well.
- The batter will appear "grainy".
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (mine typically bakes for 23 minutes).
- Remove the loaf from the pan and allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm topped with a touch of honey, or calorie-free spray butter--or try spreading a thin layer of unsweetened applesauce on a slice for a slightly sweet and very tasty treat!
These are ok. It comes out very dense and wheat-y. We added some thawed frozen corn b/c good corn bread has corn :) Next time I would recommend using half all-purpose and half whole wheat flour.
I prefer more of a corn flavor, but these muffins were very delicious, dense and filling. I replaced the Sweet n Low with Splenda brown sugar mix. The flavor was so good! Thanks for a fantastic healthy alternative for my family. My kids totally loved them too. I wonder how the would taste with some shredded zucchini or carrot. Yum!