Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Developed this recipe whilst making a variation of the "Cabbage Soup Diet" cabbage soup! Very healthy dish packed with tons of vegetables and spices with very low salt/fat content - perfect to have as a light meal if you're watching your calorie intake. Family found it very tasty and agreed that the use of so many vegetables and slow cooking the soup on low for a few hours allowed a strong depth of flavour to develop. My carnivorous brother even devoured a huge bowl and soups/vegetables don't do much for him. Makes enough to feed a small army but is perfect for freezing.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped into small pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped into small chunks
- 1⁄2 capsicum, chopped into small pieces
- 200 g mushrooms, diced roughly
- 2 -3 handfuls spinach
- 2⁄3 of a large cabbage, sliced
- 1⁄2 leek, sliced finely
- 4 celery ribs, chopped into small pieces
- 2 red chilies, sliced finely
- 1 liter salt reduced chicken stock
- 1 liter salt reduced vegetable stock
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, depending on taste
- 410 g crushed tomatoes, canned
- 1 teaspoon salt
- lots cracked pepper
- parsley, to serve
- toasted sourdough bread, to serve
- heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat til pan is hot.
- add onions, leek, celery, carrot and capsicum and cook til onions and leeks are transparent, stirring regularly. 10 mins.
- add chilli and garlic and sauté with vegetables for further 5-10 mins.
- add potatoes, cabbage, oregano, thyme and basil and stir for 5 mins.
- add both stocks, water, tomatoes and bay leaves to the pan and bring to a boil.
- add salt and pepper and simmer on low for an hour to an hour and a half, stirring occasionally.
- add mushrooms and simmer for a further half hour
- ladle into bowls and serve with loosely shredded parsley and warm crusty bread.