Recipe by CN47165
What began as a "use what's in the pantry" became a family favorite. Garbanzo beans, ground beef, diced tomatoes and niblets corn combine with zesty spices for a satisfying winter dish that can also be slightly modified to make a tasty dip.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 bunch green onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can corn niblets
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- tortilla chips (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375. Chop green onions, using all of the white parts, and some of the green for color. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, along with the onions and garlic, until cooked through, drain off any drippings. Add garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed, to the skillet, along with the diced tomatoes and corn, and the rest of the ingredients. Stir and cook over medium heat until simmering. Pour into a covered casserole, and cook in the oven for approximately 40 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese and tortilla chips for a hearty soup. Or, mix in an additional 1 cup shredded cheese for in addition to the garnish for a flavorful appetizer dip for a crowd.