Recipe by HeatherFeather
I make this thick comforting soup often for my family during the cold winter months. It is so fast and easy to fix and it is rather low in fat and calories. This makes 4 very large servings. To reduce sodium, you may use low sodium green beans if you prefer. I adapted this recipe from "Fast, Cheap and Easy," by JoAnna Lund. Condensed cream of tomato soup and condensed regular tomato soup are interchangeable in this recipe; no alterations necessary.The important part is that it is indeed a condensed version of tomato soup, as opposed to ready to serve.
Top Review by MizzNezz
This is a thick, very good, very satisfying soup. I made the recipe just as posted, except for adding lots of cracked pepper. This was to be a first course for St. Patricks day dinner, but decided to have it on Sat with a big loaf of french bread. Glad we did. It may be too much of a soup to start a meal. This soup IS a meal. Delicious!! Thanks Heather Feather!
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of tomato soup (original version called for low fat or low sodium, I use regular)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup instant rice, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can cut green beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray.
- Brown beef and chopped onions over medium heat until cooked though; drain any fat.
- To the browned meat and onions, add the cream of tomato soup, tomato sauce, and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add uncooked instant rice, green beans, parsley, and black pepper; stir well.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring once or twice.