Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe from a health freak friend of mine. It's soooo easy and soooo good. All it takes is one pot. Not a lot of mess or cleaning afterwards.
- 1 package sausage (I use Smoked sausage)
- 1 can corn
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (I use DelMonte with mexican seasonings)
- 2 cups Minute Rice
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon (you can substitute water/bouillon with another can of chicken broth, Bouillon gives a better flavor.)
- Fry the sausage in its own juices with 1/2 cup water until water is evaporated.
- Add all the ingredients to the sausage EXCEPT rice.
- Let boil and reduce heat to medium for about 10 min.
- Turn off and add rice.
- Cover and let sit for 10 more minutes.
- It's healthy and soooo good.
This is very good for so little ingredients. I am not sure how close this is to gumbo because I have never tried it. But, my picky family asked to have it again. I always simmer with two bay leaves and a pinch or two of thyme. Also, I alternate using minute rice (absorbs most of the liquid) and pre-cooked rice. Pre-cooking the rice makes it similar to a juicy soup. This is a wonderful way to incorporate a healthy meal without your family knowing! (smile) Recommended!
My Family loved this gumbo. I changed it just a bit. I used brown quick cooking rice, 1 can of seasoned okra,a total of 2 cans chicken broth instead of water and bouillon, and last I used dear sausage. This was a quick and easy, great tasting recipe, we will have it again.
maybe I used the wrong ingredients but I found it to be a bit boring. I used diced tomatoes (canned) chicken broth, bouillon and pork kielbasa. WE ate it , but it wasn't a favorite.