This recipe for burritos is healthy because it uses lean ground turkey, whole wheat tortillas, brown rice, and reduced fat cheese. You only need 1/2 lb of beans to make this, but I always save myself some time and cook an entire 1lb, and freeze half. Next time I make burritos, I won't have to cook the dry beans first! VEGETARIAN OPTION: omit the ground turkey and use an entire lb of dry beans to make your burritos.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat 10 cups of water to boiling in a large pot. Rinse the dry beans and pick out any stones. When the water boils, blanch the beans for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat and cover. Hot soak for 4-16 hours.
- 2Drain the water from the beans and rinse. Pour into a crock pot and add enough water to cover and the salt. Cook on low for for 8-12 hours.
- 3When the beans are tender, freeze about half for a future batch of burritos or re-fried beans. (If you are using canned beans, start here.) Cook the 2 cups of rice as per the directions on the bag of rice.
- 4In a large skillet add the olive oil and cook the ground turkey. (Grate the cheese while your cooking the meat to save some time.) When the meat is no longer pink, add the beans (including the liquids) and garlic. Using a potato masher, mash the beans. It will take some muscle to get it all mashed together. Add the salsa and the hot peppers. Cook until the water is reduced and the beans and meat thicken.
- 5Assemble the burritos with a scoop of bean-meat mix, scoop of rice and a sprinkle of cheese in the center of the tortilla. Fold side, bottom, side, then top. Wrap in wax paper and freeze in a zip lock bag. Or you can put 3 or 4 into lunch containers and freeze.
- 6To reheat: microwave 1 minute each side and/or toast in an oven or toaster oven 350 for about 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Ground Tukey and Bean Make Ahead Burritos
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 875.1
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 91.9 mg
- Sodium 2085.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 42.9 g