Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Serve hot over noodles or rice. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988. You can also simmer in a Dutch oven for about 1 hour or bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour if you are short on time!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium beef bouillon powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Brown meat in skillet; drain fat.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms and saute until onion is golden- Place in crock pot.
- Dissolve bouillon granules in water.
- Mix together yogurt and flour.
- Add bouillon, yogurt, tomato paste, salt and pepper to crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Great dish. I did make it on top of the stove as I don't generally use my crock pot because I'm gone from home longer than 10 hours a day during the work week. Other than cooking it on top of the stove the other change that I made was to use onions instead of mushrooms (I'm allergic to them). Served over noodles with green beans. Thanks for posting this Bec! Made for Healthy Choices ABC Tag.
This recipe goes back to the 70's...I know because my Mum used to make it when I was growing up! I had a hankering for it this week and wondered if I could find a recipe! Thanks Bec! Loved it!
This would have been a good recipe if the yogurt/flour combo was left out. I followed the recipe and got a gross broken sauce that tasted like flour. I would skip that step, and mix in a big spoonful of sour cream before serving.