Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious, quick, and easy meal that will impress your guests and yourself!
Make and share this Healthy Grilled Chicken, Red Pepper, and Goat Cheese Sandwich recipe from Food.com.
- 1 wheat bun (I use Merita Light Wheat Buns, they're 80 calories and delicious)
- 4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- fresh rosemary (1-2 sticks is plenty)
- non-stick olive oil flavored cooking spray (I use PAM, but any kind will do...you also don't have to use the olive oil kind, just non-stick spra)
- 2 ounces red peppers
- 1 1⁄2 ounces red onions (one big slice)
- 1 ounce goat cheese (any kind, I made this with only .5 oz goat cheese last night and it was still delicious and 40 calor)
- shredded lettuce
- 1 teaspoon Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
- Spray chicken breast with non-stick cooking spray on each side (I use PAM extra virgin olive oil, but any kind will do).
- Squeeze about 1/4 of a lemon over each side of the chicken breast.
- Wash and chop fresh rosemary and sprinkle about HALF of the amount you have over the entire chicken breast.
- Salt, pepper, and paprika both sides of the chicken (just a pinch of salt, a good amount of pepper, and enough paprika to give your chicken breast some beautiful red color).
- Keep the red onion in its circular shape if you can (it's easiest for grilling in that shape) and slice the red pepper into pieces no bigger than the palm of your hand.
- Spray red onion and red pepper with olive oil spray
- Put chicken breast, red onion, and red pepper on grill and cook until chicken breast is no longer pink on the inside (I like to butterfly my chicken breast, which means that after the chicken has cooked on both sides for about 4-5 minutes, you give it a slice down the side, open it up, and put the inside back on the grill. You don't have to slice the entire chicken, I usually just try to open up the thickest part of the chicken, which is sometimes still pink, and make sure that part gets put directly on the grill).
- When the chicken starts looking like it only needs a few more minutes, add the splash the other 1/4 of the lemon and sprinkle the remaining rosemary on both sides (rosemary needs to be cooked for at least a minute or so, so make sure that wherever you put the rosemary gets grilled up a little bit).
- The chicken should take around 10 minutes, depending on how thick it is.
- Flip the red pepper and red onion when they start to get some darker grill marks (you want to make sure that they are nicely cooked, but not charred black). They shouldn't take longer than your chicken breast to cook.
- Toast your wheat bun (either throw it on the grill for a minute or warm it up in the toaster oven until it starts to brown.
- Spread the goat cheese on the warm bun.
- Spread the dijon on the other side of the bun
- Slice your grilled red pepper and onion into strips.
- Top the bun with red pepper, onion, chicken breast, and shredded lettuce.
- *I ate this last night with a side of Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips (which was a great combination), but for guests, I would recommend either a homemade light pasta salad or oven baked sweet potato steak fries to go with this dish!*.