Finally, a recipe for green bean casserole that's low-fat and dairy-free! For years I haven't been able to eat the traditional version because it's smothered in cream soup. Now I can dive right in again! I can't wait to try this. It's from Calorie Commando on the Food Network.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for cooking leeks
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can mushroom broth
- 1 1/2 lbs frozen French-cut green beans, defrosted
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 2 medium leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced (white part and some of the green)
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a small saucepan, heat the 2 tablespoons of canola oil over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and stir constantly to form a paste (you are making a roux, used to thicken the broth).
- 3Once a paste forms, slowly pour in the mushroom broth while whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Continue cooking until broth is thick.
- 4Meanwhile, layer green beans, mushrooms, and pearl onions in a casserole dish.
- 5Pour the thickened sauce over and bake for 25 minutes.
- 6While casserole is baking, place leeks in a small saucepan and add just enough canola oil to cover. Place the saucepan over low heat and allow leaks to slowly crisp. Cook until the leeks have stopped making noise. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- 7Remove casserole from the oven, stir it, and top with the crispy leeks. Return it to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes. Serve.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Green Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.3
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen pearl onions