Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Idea I came up with for something quick and healthy that can be mostly prepared in advance. I used a large cooked chicken breast cut-up but would also be a good use for leftover roast chicken. Makes 4 large tacos so I think would be a complete meal for two or a light snack / lunch for four, if using the smaller shells you'll probably be able to fill six of them. I listed a gherkin because that's what I used but you could also use a small handful of diced cucumber. Because it's served slightly chilled I think this would make a nice and quick summer meal at the end of a hot day. You could also use a low-fat Greek yoghurt and/or omit the feta. There is not a lot of sweetness in the recipe so I couldn't really say it was a kid pleaser, more of a slightly sharp taste from the salty and sour ingredients.
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 gherkin, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons black olives, pitted and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill, dried
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 large taco shells
- 250 g cooked chicken, diced
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced into 8 pieces
- 1 cup mixed salad green (loosely packed)
- 50 g feta, crumbled
- Mix together all sauce ingredients well in a medium bowl. This may be prepared and refrigerated in advance but remove 10 minutes or so before serving. The flavours will blend better if you do it in advance.
- When ready to serve warm up taco shells for 10 minutes or so as per directions on pack.
- Place two tomato slices and a few slices of lettuce in each shell.
- Stir the diced chicken through the sauce and stuff each shell with equal amounts.
- Top each with the crumbled feta and serve.
We loved these! Very easy and so tasty. Great as leftovers, also. The only substitute I made was to use Kalamata olives instead of black olives. The Greek recipe just seemed to demand Kalamata olives. I think it was a great substitution.
These were very good! I used Fry Chik(vegetarian chicken) and made my own tortilla shell by baking in the oven. Made for the Australian swap-Jan 2012.
The sauce was made the day before, so all we had to do today was to assemble them. We did not have any hard shell tacos, so I used soft shells and also pita bread. I used chicken breast from a rotisserie chicken I had bought and froze early this year. This was a very refreshing light "taco" for a Sunday lunch. Made for Group 5 - Cuppa Tea for AUSSIE /NZ Swap Aug 11