Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
These Granola bars are low cal, low fat, high fiber and high protein. This is an extremely healthy recipe that is still VERY DELICIOUS!! Go to my Youtube or Facebook page: "Nikki Dinki Cooking" for a "How To" video on making these.
- Toast oats on a dry sheet pan at 400 degrees for 10min or until slightly brown and toasted.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, vanilla, oil, cinnamon, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Add in oats, fruit, nuts and bran.
- Spread in a 8 by 11 pan that is lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cook at 325 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool, cut and enjoy!
- If you use a bigger pan like a 9 by 13 your bars will be thiner and cook in approx 25min. Or use a smaller pan for thicker bars and cook an extra 5-10min.
Loved the vanilla in these! I used a 13"x9" pan and cooked them for 25 minutes. I may have needed to cook them a bit more, since they stayed pretty chewy after cooling, but I prefer chewy bars over the hard crunchy ones anyhow. I used Irish steel-cut oats in these (the kind that looks like little nuggets instead of flakes), so my bars looked a bit more birdseed-like than the picture. I used some lightly-crushed oat bran cereal in place of the 100% bran because I don't care for the taste of wheat bran, and omitted the nuts because I didn't have any on hand. I used coarsely chopped mango and cherry blend for the fruit. I ended up with 15 bars once cut, but I had also used the largest recommended pan size. This is something I would keep on hand for breakfasts on the go, since they're very portable and pretty filling for their size. I'd love to try these with some other types of dried fruit, too (apples? blueberries?). Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall '12