Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe has been in the making for several months. I have tried a number of combinations and this works best. The sugar and fat have been reduced. I can only get two pans in my oven at a time so the cooking time reflects cooking two at a time.
- 10 cups old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup milled flax seed
- 1⁄2 lb unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cups slivered almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar substitute (regular brown sugar can be used)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup sorghum (molases can be used but the sorghum produces a lighter flavor)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups dried fruit (combination of raisins, blueberries, cranberries)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine oats, wheat germ, flax seed, coconut, sesame seeds and nuts, mixing well.
- In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar substitute or brown sugar, water, oil, honey, sorghum, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Heat until thoroughly mixed; do not boil.
- Pour the syrup over dry ingredients and stir until coated well.
- Spread into five 13 x 9 inch jelly roll pans.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For a crunchier texture, bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool mixture and add dried fruit.
- Store in airtight container in a cool dry place.
- Will keep up to 6 months; but it doens't make it that long in our house.
I've made this recipe 5 or 6 times and still absolutely love it. I feel like I have a good, solid start to the day with just a half cup of this. Lots of good energy. I do leave out the brown sugar as I am trying to reduce sugar in my diet, and the molasses adds tons of flavor. I usually cook it longer than stated to get the right crunch. Thank you!
AMAZING! This is the best granola reipe I have ever made, and I have made plenty. I like that this is a loose granola as I am not a fan of clumpy versions. It is so easy to make substitutions on the recipe. I am making it this Christmas to give a gifts instead of cookies. My parents, in laws and best friends are now addicted to it and ask for it constantly. Thanks for the great recipe! PS stir often when making this. I stir every 8 minutes.
First time ever making granola. I always substitute applesauce for oil when baking to make things healthier and I did that here with perfect results! Stirred every 8 mins as a prior reviewer suggested. Thanks!