1/1 Photo of Healthy Gourmet Quiche
This is a tasty meatless quiche chock full of vitamins, minerals and protein. It is suitable for a lacto ovo vegetarian or anyone who wants a yummy and very nutritious quiche!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 frozen pie crusts (made with vegetable oil not lard)
- 6 eggs
- 2.46 ml sea salt or 2.46 ml other salt
- 177.44 ml 2% low-fat milk
- 141.74 g frozen chopped spinach
- 236.59 ml fresh broccoli
- 6 stalk fresh asparagus (optional)
- 1 large onion, minced
- 118.29 ml low fat cottage cheese
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese (I use sharp white cheddar)
- aluminum foil
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Cover just the edges of the pie crust (the lip) with aluminum foil to brevent over browning.
- 3Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl and add the milk, blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute, or beat with a whisk or fork for several minutes until well blended and uniform (The more thoroughly you mix this, the more fluffy and light this dish will be).
- 4Take the frozen chopped spinach and the fresh broccoli and cut them finely or run through food processor until minced and then put into the bowl with the egg mixture.
- 5Thinly slice dime sized slices of the asparagus.
- 6Add asparagus, minced onions, and salt into the mixture and stir well and pour half of the mixture into each pie crust.
- 7Bake the quiches in the oven for 35-45 minutes until center is solid.
- 8Melt the cheddar cheese, either on the stive over low heat, or in the microwave after slicing it up.
- 9Pour half the melted cheddar on each quiche.
- 10Return the quiche to the oven and cook another 5-15 minutes, until quiche is cooked through and the cheese is slightly brown, to well browned, depending on your preference. We prefer barely browned and slightly liquid.
- 11Slice into 1/8ths for one serving.
- 12Variations- try other cheeses like swiss (traditional), herbed cheeses, provelone for a smoky flavor, or even gouda or edam. Other good ingredients to try may be bacon (we use vegetarian bacon, a few strips finely minced as it is a strong flavor), ham, etc.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Gourmet Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.5
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 75.0 mg
- Sodium 249.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 6.3 g