Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Creamy potatoes with garlic and herbs is a satisfying side to any meat dish. Sandi Richard came up with this, but I changed it a bit. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, whole, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- black or white pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream or 1⁄4 cup 1% fat buttermilk
- Peel potatoes and cut in half. Place in large stovetop pot with 4 whole garlic cloves. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil and cook until potatoes are tender.
- When potatoes are tender, drain and mash along with garlic cloves using a potato masher or electric beaters.
- Stir butter or olive oil, sage, salt, pepper and sour cream or buttermilk into the remaining potatoes and return to low heat, stirring until warm.
What a lovely dish. I like that it's low fat and easy to prepare. My DH wanted a roast with mashed potatoes for dinner tonight. This made my weight watching so much easier. We loved the flavor and as I'm writing this review I just now realize I forgot the butter/oil. Well that just goes to show you that even without the extra fat this is great. I liked the sturdiness of the potatoes. I used a hand masher because we enjoy them thick and not creamy. Loved the touch of sage. Thanks for posting. :)
These are delicious! I ended up just mashing with a fork, as I wanted a coarse consistency. I used low fat sour cream, but ended up adding a bit of water because my potatoes were just a bit dry. Very tempted to add more butter, but watching calories! Thanks for sharing this healthy recipe for mashed potatoes!
These were good. I used a whole head of garlic because we all love garlic. Not sure what exactly it was, but we didn't like these as much as other garlic mashed potatoes we have had, it may be the sage. They were good, just not our favorite.