Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Moist, fudgy brownies using whole wheat flour and no butter! Yogurt is the key. These taste even better the next day.
- 1 cup yogurt (NOT low-fat)
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the yogurt and sugar to slightly dissolve the sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly.
- Stir in the vanilla, if using.
- Sift together the cocoa powder, flour and salt. (Sifting prevents lumps.) Add the nuts, if using, to the sifted mixture.
- Add half the dry mix to the wet mix and fold in with a wooden spoon. Fold in the rest. Do not over mix or the brownies will be cakey.
- Pour into a 9x9 non-stick loaf pan and bake for 30-40 minutes. Use a toothpick to test for doneness. The toothpick should have some moist crumbs sticking to it, not be totally dry.
- Cool on a wire rack, then store the brownies in an airtight container to retain moistness.
Yummy (and healthy) brownies! Not quite as good as my "Chocolate Indians" recipe that my family has been making for years, but they are much healthier and undeniably worth eating! As another reviewer pointed out, the yogurt does give a nice tart taste. I would definitely make them again. For me, they took 45 minutes to bake.
I used Soy yogurt instead of milk based yogurt. I also had to increase my baking time to 60 mins. in my oven. If I hadn't it would have been chocolate soup in the middle. It was good, they are sweet.
The yoghurt gives a great tart touch which really offsets the sweetness beautifully. Timewise, err on the 40 minutes backing time. I have a convection oven which bakes on the short side but a few extra minutes would have been useful.