Recipe by Seasoned Cook
Pretty muffins! Rise high and are pretty with cherries and fruit cocktail. Health wise -- the use of Splenda and bran cereal. Very tasty and freeze well.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made these specifically for freezing, & was pleased with the results, although for some reason they didn't rise as much as I thought they would! Still they're tasty [managed to down two of them before freezing the rest!] & well worth making ~ another time I might up the amount of cherries! [Made & reviewed as a tagged bonus in Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #14, Mar 08]
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (or Splenda Blend)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) fruit cocktail, reserve juice
- 12 maraschino cherries, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) box all-bran cereal with raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Crush all cereal. Combine all dry ingredients and set aside.
- Chop fruit cocktail, reserving juice. Mix with chopped cherries.
- Beat eggs and mix with Splenda, oil, vanilla, and buttermilk. Add fruit and juice of fruit cocktail.
- Blend with dry ingredients and fill greased muffin tins to 2/3 full.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes. Freezes well.