Recipe by healthyrecipenut
I’m a sucker for all things coconut and now that we have healthier options for incorporating it I like to modify existing recipes. This is a healthier version of a classic Cranberry Orange muffin. I’ve eaten 2 just now and had to make myself stop. Original version of this I was inspired from is Cranberry Orange Muffins on this site.
Top Review by Outta Here
Wow, these are going into the regular rotations! Lots of flavor and not too sweet. I used bottled OJ but next time will use a fresh orange and add some of the zest also, for more orange flavor. Made for Spring 2014 PAC.
- 236.59 ml fresh cranberries, chopped
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml unsweetened flaked coconut
- 354.88 ml white whole wheat flour
- 59.14 ml coconut flour
- 59.14 ml oat bran
- 14.78 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 78.07 ml coconut butter, melted
- 177.44 ml orange juice
- 2 large eggs
- 118.29 ml pepitas (raw hulled pumpkin seeds)
- turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top before baking
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: If not using coconut flour then you can probably use ½ cup of OJ. Coconut flour requires more liquid.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line muffin tins with paper cups. – I love the new parchment ones they have in grocery stores now.
- In a bowl, stir together cranberries & regular sugar.
- In a large bowl sift together flours, oat bran, coconut flakes, baking powder, salt and brown sugar.
- Whisk eggs, OJ, and melted butter and then add to dry ingredients all at once and stir until moistened.
- Fold in sugared cranberries.
- Scoop into prepared muffins liners evenly .
- Sprinkle desired amount of Turbinado sugar on top of each.
- Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until lightly brown and toothpick comes out cleanly.