Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
An adapted recipe from fat-free archives. My version includes more fruit filling!
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran or 1⁄4 cup low-fat granola
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried fig
- 1⁄2 cup dates
- 1 cup chopped dried prune
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup diced cherries
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free granola
- Cover filling ingredients with boiling water, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine all dry ingredients
- Combine wet ingredients.
- Add-in wet ingredients and mix
- Spread base into floured square pan.
- Stir filling until smooth - consistency should be like that of applesauce.
- Spread filling over base.
- Cover with low fat granola or rolled oats.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes.
A delicious healthy snack! I used gluten-free flour, real sugar, and soy milk. I used fresh figs instead of dried and omitted the dates and raisins. I found that they still had ample fruit filling, but it was a little runny/chunky, so I ran it through my blender. I used extra granola for a crunchy top. Thanks for posting!