I love macaroni and cheese. It's homey, comforting, delicious, and versatile. I love this mac and cheese recipe because in addition to being cream and soul-satisfying as all mac and cheese should be, it is also incredibly easy to prepare and lower calorie. I have adapted the recipe from this New York Times recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/15/health/healthspecial2/15recipekids-pasta.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb whole wheat spiral pasta (or another pasta of your choice)
- 1 cup cottage cheese (I use the 4% fat, but use the variety of your choice)
- 3 garlic cloves (more or less to your tastes)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 lb broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water (for the pasta) to a boil.
- 2Saute (dry or with a little extra virgin olive oil) sliced or diced mushrooms until they release their juices and the juices mostly evaporate. Turn off heat. Add washed and dried cherry tomatoes to the pan to warm through.
- 3In a food processor, process garlic cloves until minced. Add cottage cheese, extra virgin olive oil, and parmesan cheese and process until smooth.
- 4Cook pasta according to package directions. A few minutes before pasta is done cooking, add broccoli to the pot. Before draining pasta/broccoli mixture, set aside 1 cup of pasta cooking water. Drain pasta/broccoli.
- 5Add cottage cheese sauce, mushrooms, and tomatoes to pasta/broccoli. Stir to combine. Taste for seasonings. Salt and pepper as necessary. Use reserved pasta cooking water to adjust sauce consistency as necessary.
- 6Make this recipe your way! Substitute your favorite vegetables, substitute your favorite cheese in place of the parmesan, add herbs, or add beans to make a complete protein!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy, Fast, and Delicious Macaroni and Cheese With Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.8
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 214.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 19.3 g