Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This version uses a lighter sauce made with sour cream or yogurt but it's still creamy and decadent
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup light sour cream or 1⁄4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 slices peameal bacon
- 4 eggs
- English muffin, toasted
- chopped chives (optional)
- Squeeze 1/2 tsp juice from lemon into a medium-size bowl. Whisk in sour cream, shallots, oil, water, tarragon, salt and paprika. Taste and add more lemon juice, if needed. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Meanwhile, fill a wide saucepan with about 2 inches water. Add vinegar and bring to a boil over high heat. To cook bacon, lightly oil a large frying pan and set over medium-high heat. Add bacon. Cook until golden tinged, about 1-2 min per side. Remove pan from heat.
- Once water boils, reduce heat to low so water is barely simmering. Crack an egg into a small dish, then slip into water. Repeat with remaining eggs. Simmer, uncovered, until whites are set and yolks are done as you like. 2-4 minute To serve, place 1-2 pieces of bacon on an English muffin half. Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs one at a time and dab whites with paper towel to absorb as much water as possible. Place 1 egg on top of the bacon. Repeat with remaining eggs. Spoon about 1 1/2 tbsp sauce over each egg, sprinkle with chives.
I'm really sorry but this didn't work out for us. There are no quantities for the olive oil and water so I guessed. I also assumed that the 2nd aliquots of lemon juice and olive oil were for adding as needed? If the recipe quantities and directions are clarified, I'll make this again and submit an updated review. Made for Spring09PAC.