Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are made with whole meal flour and oats for a really healthy chocolate hit. Well, as healthy as anything with 1 cup sugar in can be! Very easy to make and a real hit. Enjoy ...
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil (I use rice bran)
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips (I prefer dark)
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius/375 degrees Farenheit (not fan assisted).
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa until well blended.
- Add rolled oats and coconut and stir.
- In a separate bowl, beat oil, sugar and eggs together and add vanilla essence. Stir.
- Add dry ingredients gradually to wet, stirring well, then add choc chips .
- Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Put heaped tablespoons of mix on baking sheets lined with parchment. The mix is a bit crumbly to work, but not to worry. Just squish a bit with your fingers if you need to!
- Put in oven and bake for 7-12 minutes. They are cooked when slightly cracked on top and a bit more golden in colour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a minute or two before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Wonderful warm from the oven, but just as good packed in lunchboxes or as a gift for that new neighbour!