Kauaian cook's Note:
This recipe started life as American Harvest Cookies from A Vegetarian Cook's Book (Green Cutting Board Press, 2004). I found it on the internet and changed a few things after using it several times to make it South Beach Diet friendly. Hope you all enjoy this adaption.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup raw wheat germ or 1/2 cup additional almond meal
- 1 1/3 cups oatmeal (uncooked)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar-free maple syrup
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar-free strawberry jam or 1/4 cup sugar-free raspberry fruit spread
- 1Prepare almond meal: using raw almonds, place in blender and pulse until flour consistency (use less than the desired amount- they explode) taking care not to overprocess into almond butter!
- 2Place all ingredients (except for jam) into a mixing bowl and blend until dough forms.
- 3Do not overprocess or the almond butter pops up again.
- 4If this happens, do not be alarmed-- just just a dinner knife to remove the mixture from the beaters!
- 5Roll dough into golf balls, place on parchment lined cookie sheet, flattening to about 3/4 inch thickness.
- 6They will not spread, so can be placed close together.
- 7Using a spoon, make a small indention in the center of each cookie and add a little jam!
- 8Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.
- 9Overcooking will result in a dry cookie!
- 10OH NO!
- 11Let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- 12The jam centers may (or may not) dry during cooking.
- 13Store completely cooled cookies in a single layer in a large zip-lock plastic bag.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy (don't Tell 'em) Harvest Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (30 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.4
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 50.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sugar-free maple syrup
sugar-free strawberry jam