Recipe by The 20 pound struggle
Healthy diet chicken with vegetables combines the ease of frozen chicken breasts with the nutritional benefits of fresh vegetables. What I like about this easy recipe is that little differences in my choice of seasonings can create a variety of tastes without compromising on my basic diet requirements. The basic recipe calls for basil, but you can easily substitute lite soy sauce and some sliced water chestnuts for a Chinese flavor. Can be served on rice or noodles but is great as is.
Top Review by Chef1MOM-Connie
Delicious for my Preemie Babay in PAC 2010. Very simple and basic recipe that lends towards variations and LOW fat to boot! I used the zukes and tomatoes that I froze last summer, added in basil from my window garden, a bit of extra garlic as I love garlic and spinach. I also had to add in some chicken broth base that I froze, still needed some chicken flavor. I will certainly make this again as it is very tastey and low fat to boot. You would never know by the flavors imparted. Thank you.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 green pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 red pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 vidalia onion (sliced)
- 2 small zucchini (sliced)
- 0.5 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 -2 garlic clove (minced or crushed)
- 5 -6 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut fresh or defrosted chicken breasts into bite size pieces.
- Saute in a hot Teflon skillet or fry pan until slightly browned. Then remove. Lower heat.
- Add olive oil, saute garlic and onion until softened and beginnig to turn translucent, add basil leaves and red /green pepper until they begin to soften. Add zucchini and cook until it begins to turn translucent.
- Add dained tomatoes and cooked chicken until heated through.
- Salt and pepper to taste.