Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the perfect go-to recipe if you're looking for something healthy, qulick and filling. The turkey is a learner substitution for ground beef and the fact that there is very little added salt makes it a hearth healthier option. I usually serve this with shredded cheese, sour cream and cornbread on the side!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- Add olive oil to bottom of a large cooking pot and turn heat on medium-low.
- Add garlic to pot and cook until it starts to brown, stirring frequently (about 2 minutes).
- Add onions and cook on medium-low until golden and translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add ground turkey and cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through.
- Combine seasonings in a small bowl, then pour over cooked turkey meat in pot, and stir.
- Pour in 2 cans of crushed tomatoes (be careful, it will splash slightly).
- Stir in light brown sugar, kidney beans, and chopped peppers.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 30 minutes with cover on, slightly vented to allow steam to escape.
- Serve with your choice of sides!
Delicious. To be repeated. Perfect with a beer and watching FIFA World Cup Women's Soccer.
This recipe was a hit!<br/>I didn't aid the brown sugar or cheese and it still came out delicious. <br/>Next time I will add more onions, beans, and peppers for the added veggies.
Loved this recipe!! I added a few more cloves of garlic and an extra bell pepper for color. For those that like their chilli a little on the sweet side, the 1/3 cup of brown sugar is more than enough. For those that don't, 1/3 cup of brown sugar is too much. I enjoyed this chilli for days!!!!