Recipe by Elizardbeth
My husband created this pizza. It's a great alternative to greasy delivered pizza. Plus you can customize the ingredients to be what you like.
Top Review by Chef Jean
Great! I was surprised how good the crust turned out since it was only whole wheat flour! I really loved the sauce and it made exactly the right amount :) I did add a little extra cheese, but other than that followed the recipe with great results. Made for PAC Spring '10.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 (12 ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 ounces turkey pepperoni
- 1 green pepper, cut in large chunks
- 1 red onion, cut in large chunks
- mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup fat free mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- For Crust: Stir water, sugar and yeast together until dissolved. Add the olive oil and the salt. Stir in the flour until well blended. Let dough rise for an hour.
- For Sauce: Mix tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, bay leaf and sugar in a saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes or longer.
- Pizza: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray Pam or another cooking spray on a 9 inch round baking dish.
- Split whole-wheat dough into two sections, one section larger than the other. Roll out larger (about 1/4 inch thick) section and place in round baking dish. Leave about 1 inch hanging over the sides.
- Roll out smaller dough section (1/4 inch thick) and reserve for the top.
- Fill crust in dish with topping: green pepper, pepperoni, onion, mushrooms, and any other toppings desired. Use enough toppings to fill the dish 3/4 the way full, leave room for the sauce. Top with Mozzarella cheese.
- Pour sauce over the top of vegetables. (Depending on topping all the sauce may not fit in dish.).
- Place remaining crust over the sauce, cheese and topping mixture.
- Trim to fit the shape of the 9-inch dish. Pinch sides together with bottom crust.
- Cut slits in top to create air vents.
- Cook covered with foil for 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook the rest of the way till crust on top is brown and center is warm.
- Cut into pie piece shape and serve. (You may have remaining liquid at bottom from vegetables, just spoon out into sink to prevent the crust from getting soggy.).