Recipe by TaterBug! :)
This is my recipe for a dark, deep, moist, intensely chocolate muffin. And it is actually healthy and high in fiber! I recommend using whole wheat pastry flour in this recipe, Bob's Red Mill make a great one. The pastry flour makes all of the difference in the world as well as the instant espresso which intensifies the chocolate flavor by leaps and bounds, enjoy!
Top Review by Nildee
Very good recipe! I had to add an extra 1/2 of splenda since the batter didn't seem sweet enough to my liking... and I also added 2 cups of Dark Chocolate chips. They came out awesome!!!
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 cup brewed coffee, hot strong
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, shaken
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, hot strong brewed coffee,splenda (or stevia), baking soda, and salt; stir to combine.
- In another bowl, add the buttermilk, applesauce, eggs, oil and vanilla; whisk until blended.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix just until well combined, do not overmix.
- Pour batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until pick comes out clean.