Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is very similar to already-posted recipes, but with healthier ingredients. I experimented with my favorite no-bake cookie recipe and was delighted to find that there's almost no difference in taste!! I can't keep my hands off these! By the way, the dates I use are whole pitted dates, that I "dice" with a scissors. I'm not sure if the pre-chopped, flour coated version would work.
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 ounces dates, chopped
- 3 cups brown Rice Krispies
- 1 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- In a medium saucepan, combine syrup, butter, salt, and dates.
- Heat to boiling; boil and stir constantly for five minutes.
- Remove from heat; gently stir in cereal.
- Immediately (you need to work it while warm) begin to roll into 1 1/2 inch balls; butter your hands to prevent sticking.
- Roll each ball in coconut and cool on wax paper.
4 1/2 stars addicting. DD (toddler) liked them too but DH did not as he doesn't like that cereal. Id describe them as having a good cooked date flavour and crunch. I used a bit less honey in replacement of the rice syrup as I didn't have any. That worked fine. I replaced the butter with mainly canola oil to be dairy free. I'm sure butter would taste even better. I used sea salt for the salt and fresh Iranian dates, which are way softer than what you usually buy in a grocery store. They worked well. For the brown Rice Krispies I used a gluten-free, corn-free version from my local health food store. I had to use sweetend shredded dry coconut as it was what I had on hand. These look and taste like something to have at Christmas time. I would make these again.