Recipe by Papagayita
Delicious, low fat, vegetable added, whole wheat, dark chocolate, moist, fudgy brownies...what's not to like? Optional additions: 1-2 T bourbon, rum or whiskey adds a nice complex flavor, 1 C chopped nuts of your choice (walnuts, pecans, almonds), marshmallows &/or fresh raspberries as a topping. I usually add 2-4 T ground flax and chia seeds for health & increased protein--makes them into a breakfast bar in my opinion!
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour or 3⁄4 cup white flour
- 3⁄4 cup oats, ground to powder
- 2 carrots or 2 apples or 2 zucchini, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use up to 1 1/4 C if want dark dark chocolate tasting brownies)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar (I use brown, turbinado, or a mix of sugar & honey. can use less)
- 1⁄2 cup water, boiling
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk or 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup plain fat-free yogurt (I used Greek since I had it on hand)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and grease a 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle turbinado sugar on the pan to make a delicious crunchy crust.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cocoa powder, baking soda, & salt. Blend in milk & yogurt and mix until smooth.
- Pour in boiling water, stirring until mixture thickens.
- Stir in eggs, sugar, and vanilla, stirring until smooth.
- Add flour, chia and flax seeds, stirring until smooth.
- Add chocolate chips, stir to combine and pour batter into baking pan. Add liquor if using.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes if you want fudgy brownies. Cook for additional 5-10 minutes for drier brownies. If adding marshmallows or raspberries as a topping add now and put under broiler for 1-2 minutes. I love adding a sprinkle of turbinado sugar to the top of the brownies to add a nice crunch.