Delicious, low fat, vegetable added, whole wheat, dark chocolate, moist, fudgy brownies...what's not to like? Optional additions: 1-2 T bourbon, rum or whiskey adds a nice complex flavor, 1 C chopped nuts of your choice (walnuts, pecans, almonds), marshmallows &/or fresh raspberries as a topping. I usually add 2-4 T ground flax and chia seeds for health & increased protein--makes them into a breakfast bar in my opinion!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour or 3/4 cup white flour
- 3/4 cup oats, ground to powder
- 2 carrots or 2 apples or 2 zucchini, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use up to 1 1/4 C if want dark dark chocolate tasting brownies)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (I use brown, turbinado, or a mix of sugar & honey. can use less)
- 1/2 cup water, boiling
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk or 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt (I used Greek since I had it on hand)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and grease a 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle turbinado sugar on the pan to make a delicious crunchy crust.
- 2In a large bowl, stir together the cocoa powder, baking soda, & salt. Blend in milk & yogurt and mix until smooth.
- 3Pour in boiling water, stirring until mixture thickens.
- 4Stir in eggs, sugar, and vanilla, stirring until smooth.
- 5Add flour, chia and flax seeds, stirring until smooth.
- 6Add chocolate chips, stir to combine and pour batter into baking pan. Add liquor if using.
- 7Bake at 350F for 20 minutes if you want fudgy brownies. Cook for additional 5-10 minutes for drier brownies. If adding marshmallows or raspberries as a topping add now and put under broiler for 1-2 minutes. I love adding a sprinkle of turbinado sugar to the top of the brownies to add a nice crunch.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Dark Chocolate Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.7
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 18.8 mg
- Sodium 167.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 4.0 g