Recipe by Abi Fae
These are the granola version of Rice Crispy Treats. I found this version in King Sooper's Optimum Wellness newsletter and, of course, tweaked it to fit what I had in the house. They turned out quite well! I used Kashi Seven Grain cereal and all the dried fruit and nuts I could find in my kitchen (pine nuts, sunflower seeds, currants, dried blueberries), plus organic peanut butter since I forgot to get almond butter. I also threw in some coconut I had sitting around...
- 7 cups puffed wheat cereal
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup raisins or 3⁄4 cup dried blueberries
- 3⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice syrup
- 3⁄4 cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the cereal, fruit, nuts or seeds, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Put rice syrup (honey will work too), almond butter (or any other nut butter), and butter in a saucepan and slowly heat up until everything is melted together smoothly.
- Alternately, you can place the rice syrup and butters in a microwave safe bowl and melt them in the microwave.
- Pour the syrup over the cereal mixture and mix well.
- Wet hands with water and press the cereal into a pan (the recipe called for a 9x9 pan, but I'd added so many goodies that I used a 9x12 and it was FULL).
- Let cool. Cut into 15 bars. Store in refridgerator.