Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
The Beau and I have different work schedules, so I'm frequently cooking for one during the week. This is super fast, effortless, and healthy. It's easily doubled for a night when I'm cooking for the both of us. I always have the ingredients on hand and the creamy texture makes me think I'm getting away with an indulgence. The chicken can be omitted for a vegetarian meal.
- 1⁄3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pesto sauce, homemade or store-bought
- 2 ounces sliced white mushrooms or 2 ounces cremini mushrooms (1/4 of a package of presliced works well)
- 4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 1/2 of one breast,cut into strips or chunks
- 1⁄2 cup pasta or 1⁄2 cup farfalle pasta or 1⁄2 cup penne, uncooked
- fresh ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tomatoes (approx. one tomato slice)
- fresh basil (to garnish)
- Boil water for pasta, cook according to package directions, removing from heat when al dente.
- In a small bowl, combine yoghurt and pesto, stir well to combine.
- Set aside.
- In non-stick skillet, over medium to medium-high heat, cook mushrooms just until tender.
- I don't use oil, you may prefer a little oil or butter.
- Spoon cooked mushrooms into bowl with pesto mixture.
- In same skillet, cook chicken until done (again, I don't use oil).
- Leave in pan, but remove from heat.
- Add pesto mixture with mushrooms and add drained pasta to chicken in pan.
- Mix well.
- Taste for seasoning, add fresh ground pepper and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Spoon into serving bowl, garnish with tomato and fresh basil.
- This can easily be doubled or quadrupled.
Pretty darn good! I read a few comments about the yogurt making it too tangy and I wonder how many of us who complained of the tangyness used a cheaper brand of yogurt? As a huge yogurt eater, I have noticed a difference in the brands and I made this recipe with the cheaper store brand. I thought it was a little too tangy, but I will make again using Dannon. Thanks!
This was exceptional. I used nonfat fage yogurt and added an extra tbsp of pesto. I was so nervous it was going to come out "tangy" like tinkerpuppet suggested that I was very careful not to overload on the yogurt. I wish I had. In the end it could have used that extra dollop or two of yogurt, but by then it was too late bc I didn't want my beau to know the ingredients!
This dish is great! I must confess that I deviated from the recipe quite a bit. In particular I used 4 oz of chicken breast that had been cooked in wine in the slow cooker. I skipped the pasta entirely and used 8oz of mushrooms. Also I used 1 full tablespoon of pesto and 1/4 cup of yogurt. The sauce is so flavorful. I'm in love with this recipe! Thank you so much!