Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This heart-healthy soup gets its creaminess from cauliflower instead of high fat cream. Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and it becomes vegetarian.
- 1 lb cauliflower
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- fresh ground pepper
- Remove the green leaves from the cauliflower, remove the stem and chop the florets coarsly.
- Wash the spinach well, dry in a towel or salad spinner and chop coarsely.
- In a stock pot, heat the oil over medium heat and add the garlic, cook for just 30 seconds.
- Add the cauliflower, broth and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the spinach and cook another 5 minutes, until the spinach is wilted and the cauliflower tender. Mix in the mustard and thyme.
- Using a hand-held immersion blender, puree the soup in the pot until smooth.
- Add pepper and additional salt to taste.