Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this soup without a lot of things other cream soups call for for health reasons. In this recipe the vegetables come out thick enough that no flour is needed or heavy creams. If your broth is salted there is no need to add more salt. The flavors of the vegetables come through and is amazing. If I wasn't watching my calories and portions, I could have ate the whole pot.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, fire-roasted
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup 2% low-fat milk
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic to pot and saute for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, basil and marjoram to the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Puree vegetables in blender until smooth.
- Return to pot and add milk and pepper. (add salt to taste if you require more).
- Serve. You may garnish with fresh herbs or a dollop of sour cream.