Recipe by anaisfern
This is a great muffin recipe that just happens to be healthy. It makes a cake-like, delicate muffin.
Top Review by Maito
These were really good! I did follow the other reviewers' lead and used 2 cups of whole cranberries. I also used Smart Balance regular tub margarine, added a tsp of vanilla, and saved some of the brown sugar to sprinkle on top, along with some walnuts. Tried them with and without, and they were definitely better with! Stirred in the cranberries after step 8 (they are missing from the directions). They had just the right sweetness for me, with a subtle oat flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or whatever flour you have)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the chopped cranberries and white sugar.
- Set aside.
- In a second bowl, combine the oats and buttermilk.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 45 min-1 hour.
- In a large bowl, mix the shortening, brown sugar, and egg.
- Stir the baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour together.
- Then add the dry mixture into the wet, alternating with additions of the oat-buttermilk mixture.
- Combine everything until just moistened.
- Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.