Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a really quick and easy snack. It is inspired from a recipe in Rosemary Conley's magazine, but I've changed a good few things that I think really enhance the flavours without adding any calories. These are very healthy if you are on WW or a low GI program. They are great as a healthy lunch or as a side for a cookout. I calculated calories at a mere 84 per tomato, with 2g fat, 14g carbs, 4g protein and 2g fibre but not sure what recipezaar will come up with.
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes
- 50 g couscous
- 100 ml chicken stock or 100 ml vegetable stock
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 50 g ricotta cheese
- 4 -5 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, zest of
- sea salt and black pepper (to season)
- Place the couscous in a mixing bowl and add the hot chicken stock. Allow to stand until absorbed and then fluff up a bit with a fork.
- Slice the top of the tomatoes and reserve. Scoop out the insides of the tomatoes and discard. Chop the tops of the tomatoes finely and add to the couscous.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Season to your taste.
- Place the filling inside the tomatoes and bake at 200C/400F for 10-15 minutes, until tomatoes are soft, but still holding their shape. Garnish with basil and more lemon zest if desired.
I was disappointed in this....I think it was too much lemon zest...and I wasn't wild about the ricotta cheese addition. Sorry.....