Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
light and slightly sweet and good for you! use honey if you want a sweeter bread and low fat mayonnaise for a slightly richer texture
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar substitute or 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce or 1⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- Combine dry ingrients and mix.
- Combine wet ingredients and mix.
- Sift in dry into wet and fold in gently.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes (adjust to your oven).
- Let cool and cut into 20 squares.
I was pleasantly surprised-- you know some of the "healthy" recipes sometimes can be.... well you know. It was just the right amount of sweetness and both my husband and son loved it (one usually likes more of the Cracker barrel type cornbread, one more like the Jiffy variety). I used Truvia (a little less than a 1/4 cup since that tends to be pretty strong) and low fat mayo. I too baked it about 37 minutes but that may have just been my oven. Quite good, thanks for recipe.
So, so delicious! The only problem was that it was undercooked in the middle (I baked it in a 8x8 pan). I will definitely try this recipe again but will cook longer and test with a toothpick. Tastiest cornbread ever though!
Love this recipe! I used honey and eggless mayonnaise. It was very dense, sweet, but not too sweet, and very YUMMY! Still a little high on the calories, but if you make it 10 servings instead of 20, 122 calories per serving is still much less than traditional recipes for cornbread. I'll be keeping this one handy for Fall.