Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I haven't tried this one yet. I just found it online @ mypeoplepc.com. As I'm not a fan of sweet cornbread I won't be using any sugar at all, but even if I were going to, I would still cut the amount in half and switch it to Splenda. I've now made this several times and it works!
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup white flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Add wet to dry and stir well.
- Bake at 375° for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Well...I will try this again with 1 cup of cornmeal and 1/2 cup of the white flour. I also think I will put a little fat in it. Maybe 2 T of melted butter instead of the 2 T of applesauce. Maybe it's not fair for me to review since I don't normally cook fat-free. I do think if fat-free is your goal that you will like this cornbread. (But I'd still recommend the higher ratio of cornmeal.) Reviewed for Healthy Choices ABC.
This was excellent. My first time making cornbread so I am not sure what to compare it to but i enjoyed it. Put in 2 tbs of splenda bc i do like some sweet taste in almost anything :)