Recipe by Sharon123
I love cole slaw and enjoy trying new ways to prepare it. This is from the Food Network, and is yummy and easy!
Top Review by PaulaG
Made this as per the directions. This made a nice change of pace. It is not overly sweet and is creamy without a lot of added fat. I made it in the morning and we ate it that afternoon. It will be interesting to see how the flavors blend overnight.
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage, shredded (about 1 pound)
- 1⁄2 head purple cabbage, shredded (about 1 pound)
- salt, for cabbage, plus
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 carrot, shredded (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the green and purple cabbage together in a large colander. Salt cabbage generously and put in the sink to drain for about 1 hour. Rinse the cabbage under cold water and pat dry. Mix the carrot in with the cabbage.
- Toast the celery seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat; cool. Whisk the mayonnaise, mustard, brown sugar, pineapple juice, buttermilk, celery seeds, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, to taste, and cayenne in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, tossing to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed. Enjoy!