Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A very moist and rich torte, tastes decadent but is actually very healthy! Your guests will never know...
- 1 cup natural almonds
- 1 cup artificial sweetener, divided
- 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute, room temp
- 2 large egg whites, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup light olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup fruit spread, seedless (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° and coat a 10-inch springform pan with cooking spray. sprinkle flour to coat pan and shake out excess.
- In food processor, finely chop almonds (or walnuts) with 2 tbs of the Splenda; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat egg beaters, egg whites and vanilla on medium speed until foamy.
- Gradually beat in rest of the Splenda, 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture is thick and pale in color (about 5 minutes).
- Turn mixer to lowest speed and add oil in a slow steady stream.
- In a different bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Fold in almond mixture.
- Gently fold in egg mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour into springform pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan and the center is firm to the touch. Cool on a rack.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt fruit spread until smooth. Spread over cake and let stand 30 minutes or until spread is set.
- Remove torte from pan before serving.