Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are very healthy. When I make them I usually eat a large square for breakfast, and then eat a few squares every few hours as snacks. They actually taste like dessert, but they're healthy enough to eat for a meal. This is a revised recipe that I got from the back of Seven in the Morning cereal.
- 1 cup Grape-nuts cereal or 1 cup seven in the morning cereal
- 3⁄4 cup oats (I use old-fashioned, but quick oats would work)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1⁄3 cup pecans or 1⁄3 cup walnut pieces
- 1⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip (I use a little less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 ounces nonfat yogurt (plain or flavored)
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce (1/3 cup olive oil can be used instead)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine all ingredients through the cinnamon (cereal, oats, whole wheat flour, flax seeds, wheat germ, nuts, chocolate chips, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour into lightly sprayed 13x9 dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
These bars are great! I used half Splenda and half sugar and the result was perfect. I will enjoy these for breakfast and snacks. Thanks for posting!
these are good. I didn't have any wheat germ so I just used 3 tbsp flax seeds. I also used white flour and olive oil. overall they are good but will wait for huddy to be the final judge tonight!
I love these! So easy and versatile too. I used 1/2 cup of sugar because my applesauce was sweetened, and used almonds as my nut, and did everything else according to the recipe. It came together quickly and the bars froze well, too. Thanks for the recipe!