These are very healthy. When I make them I usually eat a large square for breakfast, and then eat a few squares every few hours as snacks. They actually taste like dessert, but they're healthy enough to eat for a meal. This is a revised recipe that I got from the back of Seven in the Morning cereal.
- 1 cup Grape-nuts cereal or 1 cup seven in the morning cereal
- 3⁄4 cup oats (I use old-fashioned, but quick oats would work)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1⁄3 cup pecans or 1⁄3 cup walnut pieces
- 1⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip (I use a little less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 ounces nonfat yogurt (plain or flavored)
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce (1/3 cup olive oil can be used instead)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine all ingredients through the cinnamon (cereal, oats, whole wheat flour, flax seeds, wheat germ, nuts, chocolate chips, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour into lightly sprayed 13x9 dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.