Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a modification on Mrs. Field's "Monster Chunk Cookies". I like to make healthy food, so tweaking things here & there helps a LOT! I omitted all-purpose flour for whole wheat, and cut down on the sugar.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats, not instant
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips, at least. I use Toblerone bars instead. Nuts, raisins, etc can be added
- Pre-heat oven to 300°F.
- In a mixing bowl, add the first 6 ingredients (flour to seeds). Mix with a wooden spoon or hands.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream butter with electric mixer. Add sugar & mix until well combined.
- To this mixture, add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture, a bit at a time, to the rest & continue to mix till smooth on a lower speed. You'll have to mix the bit at the end by hand.
- Add chocolate, raisins, nuts, etc.
- With your hands, grab a well rounded teaspoonful of the cookie dough, roll & slightly flatten. Place on cookie sheet. Cookies should be 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 18 - 22 minutes.
I just finished making these for the second time. The only change I made this time around was to grind the flax seeds as they were a little bit much the last time. Yes these do taste "healthy", but they also taste good and they did get eaten.