Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy to whip up and relatively healthy.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 banana
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup almonds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, sift together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour and baking powder, set aside.
- Mash together banana and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Add melted butter, eggs and milk and vanilla. Beat together until well blended.
- Stir flour into wet ingredients.
- Fold in chocolate chips and almonds.
- Pour batter into muffin cups, about 3/4 full and bake 18-22 minutes, or until done.
I really wanted to like this recipe, but it was rather a poor use of good ingredients in my mind. Followed the recipe exactly save for omitting the almonds per the 8-year-old and it baked up bland with a rather gummy texture. Adding insult to injury, the muffins came out positively welded to the paper cup liners! If it were tastier I would try it again with no liners, but I think I'll move on.
Delicious and very easy to make. My only modification was to omit the almonds, which I don't like, and replace them with more chocolate chips, which I love! I didn't bother with paper liners, choosing instead to give the wells of the muffin pan a brief spray with Pam. When they were done, a quick run around the outside of each well with a knife and the muffins slipped out beautifully. I got 16 muffins out of this recipe (but some of them are admittedly a bit puny!). Thanks for sharing! (The second time I made them, I doubled the recipe, replaced the all-purpose flour with more whole wheat, and made 2 1/2 dozen good-sized muffins.)
Made these for PAC 2007. Your muffins were delicious and very easy to put together. Loved the fact that there was some whole wheat flour in these (made me feel like I was eating something real healthy!!). Only little problem with these muffins... they stuck to the paper liners...!! I baked them for about 20 minutes in a 350F oven. Will bring them to the office tomorrow... because I would eat them all!! ;) Thanks Alexis!