Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cost per serving: $ 1.11. Your kids will flip for these Healthy Chili-Chese Dogs! Tip: Buy the best. Uncured hot dogs cost a few dollars more than regular ones, but they're worth it. They are lower in fat and sodium and free of nitrites, preservatives that research has linked to an increased risk of some cancers and other diseases when eaten frequently.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- salt (optional)
- 8 uncured turkey or 8 chicken hot dogs
- 8 whole-wheat hot dog buns, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- Warm oil in a medium skillet over medium. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and chili powder and saute 30 seconds. Stir in tomato sauce and beans and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt, if desired.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add hot dogs and boil 5 minutes. Drain well, place on buns, top with chili and cheese, and serve immediately.