Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I adapted this recipe from somewhere, it's tasty and healthy. Gotta love slow cookers! Make sure yours can hold at least 4 quarts.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 lime, zest of
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken or 1 1⁄2 lbs turkey
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 yellow bell peppers, diced
- 1 -4 canned chipotle chile, chopped, to taste
- In pan, heat oil over medium heat for a minute. Add onions and celery and cook, stirring, until softened (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and cook another minute. Add oregano, pepper, lime zest and cumin and cook, stirring for about a minute. Add chicken stock and cook, stirring, until mixture boils. Add tomatoes with juice and return to boiling. Transfer to a slow cooker stoneware.
- Add chicken and beans and stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Stir in chili powder mix and peppers. Cover and cook on High for about half an hour.