Try this inexpensive and fresh version of chicken casserole--no need for processed soups or sauces!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces skim milk
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 7 ounces penne pasta, whole wheat
- 2 yellow bell peppers or 2 orange bell peppers, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 12 ounces broccoli, chopped (approximately 2 heads)
- 1/3 cup monterey jack cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1Prepare the white sauce by placing the butter in a small sauce pot that has been preheated over medium heat. Once the butter foams, add flour and stir for 1 minute; try not to let the mixture turn brown. Add milk to the mixture turn brown. Add milk to the mixture and continue to stir until it starts to bubble. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add pepper, Italian seasoning and Parmesan ceese to the sauce. Stir to combine. Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, preheat oven to 350°F During the last minute of pasta's cooking, add the chopped broccoli to the water. Allow to simmer for one minute.
- 2Drain the pasta and broccoli. Spritz the bottom and sides of a 9x13 oven-proof casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3In a large bowl, combine the pasta and broccoli with the chicken and chopped vegetables; cover with the sauce. Place in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the Monterey Jack cheese and cover with foil.
- 4Bake for 20 minutes; remove foil and continue to bake until cheese is melted (about 10 minutes).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Chicken Vegetable Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.5
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 65.0 mg
- Sodium 138.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 26.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: